1 student dies, 7 others hospitalized after deworming

1 student dies, 7 others hospitalized after deworming

A young student died while seven others were hospitalized after taking deworming tablets in their school at San Isidro Elementary School in Surigao Del Norte on July 23.

The students reportedly experienced stomach pain and temporary loss of sight after taking the said deworming tablet. 

Based on a report, the school conducted a mass deworming to their 300 students on that day.
According to the deceased's grandmother, her granddaughter complained of terrible stomach pain and lost her vision 5 hours after taking the tablet called 'Albendazole' The young girl was immediately brought to the nearby hospital but later she lost her life.

Seven of the young student’s school mates were also brought to the hospital after they felt dizzy and experienced blurry vision after drinking the same medicine. 

Departtment of Health (DOH) Undersecretary Eric Domingo said they will temporarily suspend all the mass deworming program in Surigao Del Norte pending the results of the investigation.